Saturday, June 15, 2013

Live from Trackside - Milwaukee IndyFest

Saturday, June 15
6:15 p.m.
There are definitely a lot of lessons to be learned that we’ll take from today, finishing up 17th after a rough race. We just have to figure out what they are and make the most of them moving forward. We’re looking forward to making our way to Iowa so we can make the changes and we’ll go racing.

Pre-race at The Mile.
Pit stop.
11 a.m.
It's race day! It's a bit overcast at the moment here at the Milwaukee Mile. It rained earlier this morning but it looks like we might get lucky and have a dry track for the race later on today.

Because of engine changes, we'll actually start P21. I think with good strategy, pit stops and a consistent car, we'll be able to move up and get a good result out of this weekend. The Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team is always working hard, so I know we'll be ready to go at the green flag.

I just got out of the drivers meeting and I'm headed to meet with my engineers before the autograph session at noon. Be sure to tune into the Milwaukee IndyFest on NBC Sports Network at 3 p.m. Central. Follow me on Twitter @racewithinsulin for updates from my Pit Lane Reporter, too!

Friday, June 14
6:00 p.m.
Overall, today’s been pretty good. We had a pretty good qualifying run, and we spent a lot of time focusing on the race car today in practice. It wasn’t great but we made a lot of progress with it and I think we’re in really good shape heading into tomorrow. I know the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing guys will do a really great job in the pit lane, both in our strategy and in our pit stops, so we’re in a good position to go racing tomorrow starting from P22.

Off to dinner with some great friends from Novo Nordisk!

Practice pit stop.
Making changes during practice.
Checking data during a yellow.
9:05 a.m.
It's a beautiful morning here at the Milwaukee Mile! Yesterday evening I did a video shoot for NBC Sports Network on the track's tight pit lane space, airing during their coverage this weekend. After that, I had a great time catching up with family and ate some amazing pizza (try Balistreris if you're in town)!

I just finished up with a media availability. One of the reporters asked about what I would do if I go back to college, and I said "something cool like math or science." In a room full of journalists and English majors, I got quite a few blank stares!

We'll have two practice sessions, at 10 and 1, before qualifying at 4:15 (Central). Check racecontrol.indycar.com for live timing and scoring, and catch NBC Sports Network's coverage of qualifying at 7 pm Eastern.

Shooting a piece for NBC Sports Network on Thursday.
Thursday, June 13
1:45 p.m.
Hello from the historic Milwaukee Mile! I got to the track about an hour ago, after taking some time to relax this morning before the No. 83 team arrived from Indy. The event with Novo Nordisk last night went really well--they had tons of people come out to the health fair, despite the rain, and I think the kids had a good time. I also got to see a family that is really special to me who live up here in Wisconsin, the Heaths. They always brighten my day!

On another note, it was tough to hear the news of losing Jason Leffler last night. This sport we all love so much can be so cruel. I'll definitely be thinking of his family today.

On today's agenda is time with my engineers and crew, a video shoot for NBC Sports Network, then dinner with family at a really great local pizza place. Can't wait to get on track tomorrow!

Wednesday, June 12
11:00 a.m.
My race weekend is starting bit early... I'm driving up to Milwaukee in a bit for an appearance with Novo Nordisk and JDRF later today. If you're in the area, I hope to see you at 7 p.m. tonight at the State Fair Park! Details are here.

I'm looking forward to going back to the Milwaukee Mile this weekend. Last year we didn't have the best luck on yellows and pit strategy, but the No. 83 NovoLog FlexPen car was fast and I think with another good qualifying effort we can race up front again. The Mile is just one of those tracks where anything can happen, and it's always a great show for the fans too. The Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team will be ready to go for a good result!

Here's a race weekend schedule (all times local/Central):
Friday, June 14
10-11 a.m.  Practice
1-2 p.m.  Practice
2:30 p.m.  Appearance at Novo Nordisk FlexPen Tunnel (in INDYCAR Fan Village)
4:15-5:30 p.m.  Qualifying (broadcast on NBC Sports Network at 6 p.m. Central)
Saturday, June 15
12-1 p.m.  IndyCar driver autograph session (in INDYCAR Fan Village)
3-6 p.m.  Milwaukee IndyFest race (broadcast live on NBC Sports Network)
Catch live timing and scoring for all on-track sessions here.

Follow my Pit Lane Reporter (PLR) on Twitter @racewithinsulin for updates during on-track sessions too!

1 comment :

  1. A solid finish and great race run! Looking forward to Iowa!

    ReplyDelete