Sunday, July 22, 2012

Live from Trackside - Edmonton

Sunday, July 22
3:45 p.m.
It was a tough race. We finished the race in 13th position but will record a 19th place finish due to a penalty on the last lap. We always knew it was going to be tough here. We felt pretty good about the No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car. We saved some fuel and I went for the moves while they were there. We were really good on the brakes in the corners and into the straights. We’ll take it and move on to Mid-Ohio. I think we had such a good race there last year, so the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team will be looking to build on the momentum from this race there.
Leaving the grid after the command
Quick chat with Robin Miller before the race
9:08 a.m.
We had a pretty good warm up session this morning, ending up P10. We tried a few different things... both red and black tires, a couple of different fuel mixtures, and a couple of hot pit stop practices. The reds will be quick on this track today, but they most likely won't last a full stint so that's one thing we'll consider and work through. We'll start from P19 today, but I know the No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car is fast and we'll be in the top-10 in no time!

About to head into an engineering meeting... Thanks for the support, everyone!


7:10 a.m.
It's race day! Just got to the track... I had a fun dinner with some of the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing guys last night and a good night's sleep. It looks like it will be a beautiful day here in Edmonton for the race this afternoon... 70's and sunny, with little wind. Hopefully these conditions work in our favor and we can get the No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car up the field quickly. I think we have good race car, so I'm looking forward to getting out there.

I was a guest race analyst during the Firestone Indy Lights race yesterday, so be sure to tune into NBC Sports Network early at 12:30 p.m. ET to hear my commentary (let me know how I sound!). And of course stay tuned for the IZOD IndyCar Series race at 2 p.m. ET! Click here for your local listings.

Saturday, July 21
3:00 p.m.
I think we have a really good race car with the No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car. We’re still figuring out the reds a little bit on the street course.  Tomorrow we need to just stay consistent. We have really good tires and a really good car. We know we can be quick and we know we can do the time, judging by what we’ve seen in qualifying. We’ll see where we end up after grid-penalties but the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team should be looking for a strong race tomorrow.

10:30 a.m.
We had a pretty good morning practice session. It stayed dry but the clouds are definitely moving in. The Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi guys have given me a good car to work with, so I know the speed is there--it's just making sure everything is exactly right to get to the point we want for qualifying.


7:45 a.m.
Just got to the track here in Edmonton. It rained overnight so the parking area was a bit muddy. I noticed a shoe that seemed to get left behind in a mud pile! I'll try to keep both of mine on my feet.

It's bright and sunny at the moment, but the forecast isn't looking great for qualifying... 70-80 percent chance of rain throughout the day. But no matter the conditions, the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team will make the most of it and work to be in the top-10 spots for qualifying today.

A reminder: Keep track of qualifying via live timing and scoring at 3 p.m. ET here, or watch on NBC Sports Network at 6:30 p.m. ET.

Friday, July 20
4:15 p.m.
It was a good start to the Edmonton weekend. We found some things that didn’t work and some things that did work, so we’ll be in good shape going into tomorrow. We have some ideas so we’ll come up with a game plan overnight. The No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car is good enough and the Honda engine is good enough, so I think we can be close to the top-10 tomorrow. The weather might throw a wrench in to tomorrow, but the Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing team will be ready to go!

1:15 p.m.
We had a pretty good first practice session. We aren't quite as fast as last year's times yet, but we're working on it. I finished up P13, so we'll see what we can do in this afternoon's session and see what we can do for qualifying tomorrow.





9:30 a.m.
Good morning from a relatively chilly Edmonton! I think I was almost getting used to the 100-degree weather in Indy. Just got to the track a few minutes ago so I'll have some time to chat with Brad and the team before practice at 10:50. It's a fast circuit, and one I like, so hopefully we come out with another good result!

I'm thinking of everyone in Aurora, Colorado today... what a tragic night.

Thursday, July 19
11:15 a.m.
After a great time at Camp Stix with yesterday in Washington, I'm up in Edmonton now getting ready for the race weekend. I'll grab some lunch then go meet with the team before the track walk at 2. Though I enjoyed the weekend off, I'm more than ready to get back on track with the No. 83 NovoRapid FlexTouch car!

Here's a run-down of the race weekend schedule (all times local/Mountain):

Friday, July 20
10:50-11:50 a.m. Practice
2:30-3:30 p.m. Practice

Saturday, July 21
9-10 a.m. Practice
1-2:15 p.m. Qualifying

Sunday, July 22
8-8:30 a.m. Warm Up
12 p.m. Edmonton Indy race (live on NBC Sports Network, 2 p.m. ET)

Find live timing and scoring for all sessions here. Be sure to tune in to NBC Sports Network early for the Firestone Indy Lights race at 12:30 p.m. ET... I'll be in the broadcast booth!

Thanks to everyone for the continued support and well-wishes following Toronto. Truly appreciated.

P.S. Congrats to William E., winner of my "Tweet and Win" #TakeThePledge83 contest! William and his son will join me as my guests in Sonoma!

No comments :

Post a Comment