Thursday, April 15, 2010

Racing at home!

This weekend is the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach and I am super pumped! Long Beach is one of the more special races on the calendar this year for me. Mainly because the pits are only 75 miles from my house. And when I am racing all over the country (and Canada), 75 miles is practically next door! Long Beach also holds a special place in my heart because I remember coming to this race for years with my dad when he was doing consulting. I would get a ticket and then get to hang around the race track all day and inevitably get sunburned. But I still got to soak in the great atmosphere, the race track, the cars, the drivers and everything else that makes the Grand Prix here such a jewel. Now after years of racing in Europe, being as close to home as Long Beach is means that everyone who supported me abroad can come support me in person. The drive down the 405 is a lot easier (some of the time) than flying across the Atlantic! At the moment, we have about 60 people in the Charlie Kimball Cheering Section of the grandstand. There are a few tickets left if you want to come join us! Message me on Twitter with an email address, or comment here with an email and I will send over some information.

The track itself is pretty special. It is one of the longest straights (Shoreline Drive) we will run on all year and yet it also has the slowest corner (the hairpin) we see as well. Put those things together and it makes for a great racetrack. I come into the weekend sitting second in points behind the Frenchman JK Vernay. I am still confident in the long haul to the Championship because Vernay hasn't been to many of the rest of the tracks this year and has never raced on an oval. Plus, I plan on building on last weekend's second place finish from Barber and working on cutting his points lead!

Time to go racing at the Roar by the Shore!

No comments :

Post a Comment