Thursday, April 16, 2009

If it's Wednesday, then this is Long Beach

It is Wednesday, right?

After my incredible drag car experience last week, I feel like my whole life has been run in under 8 seconds at over 160 miles an hour! I stayed in Palm Beach, Florida at the track for Thursday where I took part in a media day and drove a Formula BMW around to show local media all about the racetrack. Then it was off to the airport in the afternoon to catch a flight back to LA in time for some family time at home over Easter weekend and getting ready for my 'home' race in Long Beach. Then things didn't go quite to plan. I had a connection in Dallas and apparently there were strong winds so my plane was delayed out of Florida. When we landed in Dallas, I had 15 minutes to make my connection. I rushed to my gate to see that the in bound plane hadn't even arrived yet! So I went bought a book to read and waited. The second flight of the evening was about an hour late leaving Dallas meaning I didn't get to LA until late and didn't get to bed until almost 3:30 in the morning! Even with all of the drama and the late night, I really enjoyed my weekend. My sister is home for a week from England and I realized how much I missed her insight and perspective. While she is my sister, she is also a huge part of my 'team'.

Also, I had an appointment with my diabetes educator on Tuesday. She is another true inspiration to me! She has been fantastic in all of my diabetes care and is so proactive in how to treat me so that diabetes works into my lifestyle. And she and my endocrinologist, Dr. Anne Peters, complimented me on how things were going. Phew! Big sigh of relief. I feel like I haven't been doing as good a job as I can lately, but after my appointment, I am ready to try harder again. I am still hitting my A1C% goals and still have to go ahead to keep racing.

Other big news, Novo Nordisk announced their partnership with me yesterday. I am extremely excited about this partnership as their insulin, Levemir and NovoLog, allow me to keep racing. Together I know that we can touch a lot of people in the diabetes community and get my story out there. The press release can be read on my website here.

And finally- the race weekend. I am here in Long Beach for some media events already. I am so excited to be racing at home. I know how big a challenge the track is and with the concrete walls, there is no room for error. Still, this race holds a special place in my heart as I am from southern California, I grew up watching it on T.V., I have been to the race a few times, and I will have a lot of support from the stands. I have a few more media events tomorrow, I will spend some time with the team, and get a chance to walk the track. I am so pumped for this weekend! It is going to be a lot of fun.

If you want to come out and show your support, there is a lot of information on the official website of the 35th running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

No comments :

Post a Comment